Civil Rights Claims in Chester County PA
Learn about how West Chester PA Civil Rights lawyer Steve Jarmon can fight for your civil rights. Title VII of the of the 1964 Civil Rights Act is a federal law that prohibits discrimination in the workplace based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin. The law prohibits an employer form discriminating against a person based on their race, color, religion, sex or national origin in three areas of employment.
- First, an employer or potential employer cannot refuse to hire someone if their decision not to hire them is based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin. For example if an employer interview a potential employee who happened to be a woman and decided not to hire them based on that fact than this would be deemed a violation of the Civil Rights Act.
- Second, an employer cannot discriminate against an employee when it comes to the terms and conditions of their employment. An employer cannot refuse to promote, give assignments to, not give assignments to, punish or reward an employee based on their race, color, religion, sex or national origin. For example, if an employer decided not to give a particular employee a promotion or choice work assignment and that decision was based on that employee’s race, color, religion, sex or national origin this would be deemed a violation of the Civil Rights Act.
- Third, an employer cannot terminate an employee based on their race, color, religion, sex or national origin. For example if an employer does not like a particular religious group or a particular race of people and decides that he will terminate anyone who falls into that particular religious group or particular race, this would be violation of the Civil Rights Act.
Discrimination can occur at many stages of employment, including hiring and recruiting, reviews and job evaluations, promotion and compensation actions, disciplinary actions and termination. Steve Jarmon represents individuals facing civil rights and emplyoment discrimination matters in the following areas:
- Age Discrimination
- Sex Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- Race Discrimination
- Disability Discrimination
- Religion Discrimination
- Criminal Record Discrimination
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Hostile Work Environment
Contact Us for More Information About Civil Rights in Pennsylvania
Contact Steve Jarmon and the Employment law team of Ciccarelli Lawyers at (610) 925-2500 or toll free (877) 529-2422 to schedule an initial consultation if you have a question about your civil rights, or have an issue or dispute that you believe needs legal attention. Our employment law practice is based in Chester County and we have locations in West Chester, Kennett Square and Exton and serve: Downingtown, Coatesville, Paoli, Malvern, Devon, Paoli, Oxford, West Grove, Lionville, Phoenixville in Chester County and also serve clients in Delaware County, Lancaster County, Montgomery County and Philadelphia PA.