Religion Discrimination in Chester County Pennsylvania
Speak to West Chester PA employment lawyer Steve Jarmon if you have been the victim of religion discrimination in the workforce. Discrimination in the workplace because of your religious beliefs or its associated practices is illegal in America. An employer cannot refuse to interview, hire, pay a fair wage, promote, or terminate employment because of religious affiliation. Allowing other workers to harass or abuse you, and refusing to take your discrimination claim seriously are also violations of your employee rights. Set up an appointment today about your possible religious discrimination claim with attorney Steve Jarmon in one our Chester County locations in West Chester, Kennett Square and Exton. Examples of religion discrimination include:
- An employer refuses to even interview a Muslim, Jewish, Mormon, born-again Christian job candidate, or purposely hires one over another
- Muslim employees are refused the right to uphold basic tenets of the religion that do not affect the performance of their duties
- Employers fail to investigate claims of harassment related to a worker’s Islamic, Christian, Jewish or other religious faith
- An employer will not accommodate work schedules for a Jewish employee observing holy days, or Muslim workers requiring short prayer breaks
- An employer or their employees discriminate against another worker based on the perception of a religious affiliation
- An employer permits abusive behavior by employees of one religion against another or engages in wrongful termination
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act protect you from employer discrimination because of your religion. In order to claim the protections under these laws an employee’s religious beliefs must be part of a bona fide religion. The employee must also communicate to the employer that certain work duties would be in conflict with his or her religious beliefs. The employee also has an obligation to work with the employer to find a reasonable accommodation to the work duties that would not cause the employer an undue hardship. An employer also cannot discriminate against an employee because of their religion. An employer cannot fail to hire, promote, give a raise to or give other perks to an employee because they are of a particular religious faith.
For instance if an employer were to terminate an employee or fail to give a raise or promote an employee because they practiced a particular religion than the employer would be in violation of both state and federal civil rights statutes. If you feel that you have been decimated against because of your religious faith you need action and you need justice.
Contact Us About Religion Discrimination in Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Contact Steve Jarmon and the Employment law team of Ciccarelli Lawyers at (610) 925-2500 or toll free (877) 529-2422 to schedule an initial consultation if you have a question about your rights under rights of religion being violated in the workplace, or have an issue or dispute that you believe needs legal attention. Our employment law practice is based in Chester County and we have locations in West Chester, Kennett Square and Exton and serve: Downingtown, Coatesville, Paoli, Malvern, Devon, Paoli, Oxford, West Grove, Lionville, Phoenixville in Chester County and also serve clients in Delaware County, Lancaster County, Montgomery County and Philadelphia PA.